Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mobile Phones - Alternative Penalties

The Vikings Weekender is a small weekend tournament held in Canberra, Australia each year. This year there are 57 players playing, with a time limit of G60m+10s per moved. As it isn't FIDE rated, I (the arbiter) have a little flexibility with some of the rules. For this years event I am trialling a different set of penalties for Mobile Phone Infractions.
Instead of the instant loss that the current FIDE Rules prescribe, I instead announced a two-step system. If a players phone makes a sound (ring, beep, trill etc), the player will be given a warning and the opponent will be given an additional 5 minutes time. If it happens a second time the player will then lose the games. Note: Players are still forbidden from conducting conversations on the phone if it does ring.
As for how it is working in practice I cannot say. By the end of Day 1, no ones phone made a noise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magnificent idea and it is duly

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I dream the collection should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Again a good post. Thanks your achates

Anonymous said...

My computer crashed on me, and along with it, took my itunes. i now have a new computer, but a blank itunes. but, my iphone still has all my music on it, and i was wondering if there was a way that you could upload the music on there, onto the itunes, so i don't have to start completely over again.
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url]

abeer ahmed said...

want to know who owns microsoft.com http://whois.domaintasks.com/microsoft.com